Palliative care, and the medical specialty of Palliative Medicine, is specialized medical care that provides relief from the symptoms and stress of a serious illness. The goal is to improve quality of life for both you and your family. Palliative care is provided by a team of specialists, including palliative care doctors, nurses and social workers who work together with a patient’s other doctors to provide an extra layer of support. It is appropriate at any age and any stage in a serious illness, and it can be provided along with curative treatment.
What it is:Specialized medical care that provides relief from the symptoms and stress of a serious illness.
How it works:Oasis Palliative Care team works with your physicians to optimize your care. It can be provided in a variety of settings including the hospital, clinic and at home.
Oasis Palliative Care makes all the difference.
Oasis Hospice Palliative Care includes board certified physicians and nurses. Our team adds Masters prepared Social Workers to support you. Together with your own doctor, we make sure that you receive:
- ~ Relief from symptoms including pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, constipation, nausea, loss of appetite, numbness, problems with sleep and much more
- ~ In-depth communication with you and your family about your goals, your concerns and your treatment options and how to match your goals to those options
- ~ Coordination of your care among all of your health care providers
- ~ Improved ability to tolerate medical treatments and the side effects of the disease
- ~ Improved ability to carry on with daily life
- ~ Emotional, practical and spiritual support for you and your family
Oasis Palliative Care Services
Palliative care improves quality of life for both you and your family.
- ~ Physicians
- ~ Nurses
- ~ Social Workers
Begin palliative care early.
Considering Palliative Care?
Palliative care can occur at the same time as all other treatments for your illness. There is absolutely no reason to wait. In fact, some studies have shown that palliative care may extend life. Pain and other symptoms affect your quality of life, and stress can have a big impact on your family. The palliative care team can help.Your insurance will cover palliative care.
Most insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid, cover palliative care. It is handled like other medical services, such as oncology or cardiology.Getting palliative care is easy. Just ask.
You may already have been referred to the palliative care team, but if not, just ask your doctor for a referral. We work together with your primary doctor and health care team.
For more information call the Oasis Palliative Care team at 281-607-2310. We welcome questions from patients and family members.